Election 2013 – 10 policy ‘must haves’ for an effective capable and resilient Landcare movement
Government needs to do better
1. A commitment to invest in building a strong and resilient Landcare movement (not raiding NRM funding to make up for budgetary shortfalls in other areas).
2. Investment in community Landcare to build local capacity, enabling community-led response to natural disasters including flood, bushfire and support for communities impacted by tragedies.
3. Recognition of and financial support for the State and National Landcare networks through the National Landcare Business Plan* to improve the capacity of community Landcare.
4. Integration of Landcare funding across Australian Government departments, recognising that sustainable landuse and nature conservation are inextricably intertwined.
5. A commitment to fund regional and local strategic priorities to ensure community ‘buy in’.
6. A commitment that total investment in natural resource management, sustainable agriculture and environment will not decline.
7. Regional Landcare Facilitator Program overseen by Landcare organisations and funded separately from Regional Allocations.
8. An audit of the community engagement records of the regional NRM organisations (CMAs, etc).
Government needs to continue
9. A commitment to invest in National and State Landcare Conferences to share information and build community capacity.
10. A commitment to invest in National and State Landcare Awards to recognise achievements and celebrate the Landcare movement.